Monday, January 6, 2014

I Don't Do Resolutions

When the new year comes, I don't make resolutions.
Instead, I set goals.
I don't know where I got the idea, but I remember seeing somewhere how if you set a goal instead of making a resolution, you have a better chance of accomplishing the change you want in the new year.
This year I have a few goals I wish to reach before the close of 2014.

1 - I want to have a greater presence online.
I have accounts with most social networking sites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, and Blogger, but I feel like I spend more time looking at other people's posts, and less posting myself. And whenever I do post anything, I'm just re-posting someone else, or posting I found online, but hardly anything new. So I will be trying to post more updates, pictures, videos, and blogs. I have all these creative outlets, and I'm not utilizing them as much as I should.

2 - I want to run more.
Over a year ago, I started running. After a few months, I started getting really bad shinsplints. I did everything I was supposed to do to get rid of and prevent them, but they kept coming back. After talking with friends who know more about running than me, the culprit is most likely my shoes. I need to get some new ones, but I can't convince myself to spend the $100 for a good pair of kicks, and I don't want to just buy some cheap ones that will just put me back in the same spot within a few months. Before my shoes started betraying me, I was running a 15 minute mile, and the longest was two miles. Before the year ends, I want to be able to run for at least an hour straight.

3 - I want to write more.
I always tell people I'm a writer, and that I want to be a published author, but I can't remember the last time I sat down and seriously wrote out a story. I have a few ideas going all over the place, but they just stay ideas. My goal is to have at least a rough draft of a novel (a really rough draft) or at least three finished short stories by the end of the year.

Of course, I will also still try to read 10,000 pages. Last year I tried reading more non-fiction, which was great, but I think I need to get back to reading more fiction. I was so concerned about learning something from a book, I think I forgot the simple joy of reading a good story, and that you can learn something from a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment